Thursday, February 19, 2009

Labor and Water: A New Paradigm

Water has become a front burner issue in California and throughout the West. The prolonged drought on the Colorado River along with the Bay Delta legal challenges are going to force us to think more about water; where it comes from and how do we use it more efficiently. Typically water agencies have not talked to Latinos about the water issue. There have been a few paltry attempts but nothing really concrete. Well that is about to change. One March 26, we will bring together for the first time, labor union officials with elected water officials and start a conversation. Given my passion for EJ, I am convening and moderating an EJ panel at the conference. Celeste Cantu of SAWPA will be our keynote speaker. I'm forever indebted to my amiga Celeste for pushing me into EJ. Having been a reporter for many year has allowed me to approach EJ in a very different way or so I'm told! Stay tuned for more updates.

No comments: